Saturday, December 19, 2009

Irrewind, 20091219: Sports

Though I haven't officially played a sport since I was young enough for Little League (unless you count some intramural stuff when I was in the Army), I am a vehement sports fan. Most people who know me know that I am a die-hard San Diego Chargers and San Diego Padres fan. I also follow hockey, but as San Diego doesn't have a team, I pull for the Anaheim Ducks (via proximity) and the Carolina Hurricanes (via being in North Carolina when the team moved from Hartford, Connecticut). Basketball, admittedly, is my least favorite of the big four American sports, but when I'm in the mood I back the Los Angeles Clippers (formerly the San Diego Clippers... noticing a pattern?).

At any rate, I sometimes write about sports... usually football... and I figured I'd (re)share some of my insane opinions here.

"San Diego: Sports Town? Or Not?"
San Diego is, among other things, one of the most beautiful places in the United States, and is easily arguably the most beautiful big city in the country. A beach culture, the Western Hemisphere's best weather, a foreign country right next door, Hollywood to the northwest... Read More

"The Los Angeles Chargers"
I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything, and I truly love my Chargers, but it does seem a little odd that the best season in San Diego history since A LONG TIME AGO IN A GALAXY FAR, FAR, AWAY... is happening right when the Chargers are trying to force their way into a... Read More

"Baseball Musings"
In honor of the first weekend of the baseball season, I've decided to bless you with my totally pointless thoughts concerning baseball, America's former favorite pastime.

162 regular season games is way too many. They should drop the season back to 154 games... Read More

"The Los Angeles Jets of the NFL"
Expansion, of course, is the obvious answer, but since the NFL is almost perfectly balanced and scheduled with a 32-team league, this doesn't seem likely. No, I don't think that adding a team or two (or four) would hurt the NFL by depleting the talent pool like so many people... Read More

"1140-Yard Benchmark"
Let's face it, the 1000-yard benchmark signifying a wide receiver or running back's quality is lame. Oh, sure, way back when the football season was only 14 games, it meant something. It meant even more when the season was only 12 games (before 1961). But today, the... Read More

3 comments:

Tom said...

i used to watch a lot more baseball, but the sport is becoming a must-not-see event; at least from the broadcasting point of view. Attendence at the ballparks seems to be growing (in most towns). Games start too late at night, season is too long, players bounce between teams too much.

would love to see a team in Indianapois, but unless some other city wants to give up a team it won't happen...
The Colts have proved that Indiana loves sports, and we'd probably be a great small market...better than DC or anywhere in Florida...

Brian Miller said...

i remember running home after school to catch the cubs game on TV...my boys love going to game, but you better have a fat wallet these days...baltimore was nice because they actually still let you carry food in...

Ravyn said...

San Diego was my absolute favorite place when I visited CA a couple of times. Beautiful, beautiful place.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...