Saturday, December 12, 2009

Irrewind, 20091212: Movies

I watch a ton of movies. Now, I was going to write something that was unknown about myself, but it didn't come out quite right. So... I watch a ton of movies. In addition to watching a ton of movies (literally... a ton... have you ever weighed a film reel?), I write about watching a ton of movies. Usually I'm a bit lazy about such things and the result is my illustrious (not) "One-Line Movie Reviews," but every now and then I do something a little different.

"Immigration, Terrorism, Hollywood"
Two hot topics in politics right now are proliferating on the big and small screens, as of late, so I figured I'd fuel whatever fire and review three movies I've seen recently, as well as the season 6 premiere of one of the best shows on television... Read More

"The Best World War II Films You Didn't Like"
In preparation for going to see Letters From Iwo Jima, I watched Flags of Our Fathers again. Back when it was released theatrically, I called it another Eastwood masterpiece, a subtle one, at that. However, even as I wrote those words, I hated the ending, didn't much... Read More

"Subtitles, Dubs, and the Subtle Stupidity of Dubtitles"
I watch a lot of movies. A lot. I try to go to a theater at least once every two weeks and will probably watch at least two at home every week. Admittedly, I haven't exactly been meeting that quota since I left North Carolina, but you get the idea: I watch a lot of movies... Read More

"10 Movies Everybody Loves... That I Hate"
I watched Curse of the Golden Flower for the first time last night and was thoroughly unimpressed. I had heard that the film was the box office record holder in China, so I figured it must be great. Not good. Great... Read More

"The Greatest Animated Movies of All Time"
Okay, so these aren't objectively the greatest animated movies of all time, but these are definitely my all-time favorites. An objective list would have to include Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, as that was the film that proved animated features were a viable genre, but... Read More

4 comments:

lettuce said...

DVDs weigh much less....

just sayin'

Tom said...

ha! anyhoo..i'd love to see Grave of the Fireflies...have never heard of it. Also agree with you about the Incredibles, although i disliked some of your other cartoon picks. Cinema is very subjective...It might be kind of fun to have a movie discussion among bloggers, kind of like the book discusions other bloggers have...jsut an idea.

Baino said...

I agree with your movie hate list actually although I loved the sound track in the DaVinci Code. I'm generally not a fan of sequels, they rarely live up to the original.

Lorenzo — Alchemist's Pillow said...

Hi, Jeff. On the subject of films dealing with the issue of immigration, I would be curious to see your opinion on "The Visitor", written and directed by Thomas McCarthy. Have you seen it? If not, I thought it was excellent and recommend it highly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...