Monday, April 23, 2007

I'm a Dork

I had a lovely conversation with a lovely person today, and part of it focused on the definition of a dork. You see, this lovely person claimed dorkhood, but I just didn't see it. So we broke down the dorky things that we both did, and I'm pretty sure I won the dork race, so to speak.

Why am I a dork? Well, some of the things that were brought up included:

I like science fiction. Yes, I dig it. Battlestar Galactica, when it isn't ignoring its own continuity and/or breaking the laws of physics, is my favorite show on television. And while I can't claim to have liked Babylon 5 (despite knowing and working with Peter Jurasik), I do like the first two incarnations of Star Trek (but most definitely not Deep Space Nine, Voyager, or Enterprise). Also, like most people my age, I absolutely dig Star Wars... well, old Star Wars.

And did I mention that I can name the 28 original Transformers toys from memory? And the 13 original G.I. Joes. And I like fantasy almost as much as I like science fiction. Especially erotic fantasy... I mean, er... never mind.

Take that, you non-dork people.

Dork clue number two is that I would rather, honestly and seriously, do dinner, a movie, and a walk on the beach for a date than I would bar or club hopping. Of course, that could just be because I'm getting old and lazy, leaving those drunk days behind... but no, I'm using it as a dork excuse.

Ooh, how about this? I'd rather go see ruins, museums, and natural landmarks when I'm in a foreign country rather than experience its nightlife. Yes, I'll go out at night just to say, "I got drunk in ______," but that's not the point. Give me the Parthenon or the Colosseum over a party in Paris any day. Let me see Mona Lisa in person. Take me to The Phantom of the Opera or The Producers on Broadway. Hell, I think I could have a blast at an archaeological site excavating stegosaurus bones.

Other evidence that I'm a dork? I love art and foreign film. I salivate over NFL cheerleaders. I alphabetize my DVD collection. I read... for fun. And, oh, yeah, I have a blog on MySpace.

Anyway, I think I've proven my dorkhood. But just in case, if you can think of anything else that would further my case, please post said evidence in a blog comment.

Have a nice day. Dorks.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're not a dork; you're gay. Duh.

Posted by Jessica Lynn on April 23, 2007 - Monday - 7:50 PM

Anonymous said...

You're both. What's your point?

Posted by JeffScape on April 23, 2007 - Monday - 8:09 PM

Anonymous said...

Ok... If all those things make YOU a dork, then I guess I am a dork, too. But, I cannot say it comes as a surprise. I also read, collect and organize comic books. I win!

Posted by Joe on April 24, 2007 - Tuesday - 6:28 AM

Anonymous said...

IIIIIIIIII'm a math teacher. HA! Top that one.

Well, I prefer geek, so I guess I should let you claim the dork title.

Posted by **JEAN** on April 24, 2007 - Tuesday - 6:50 AM

Anonymous said...

@Joe: No, wait... I, too, read, collect, and organize comic books (alphabetically and sometimes by publisher).

Take that.

Posted by JeffScape on April 24, 2007 - Tuesday - 12:35 PM

Anonymous said...

Ahem... My favorite hero is Aquaman.

Posted by Joe on April 24, 2007 - Tuesday - 1:48 PM

Anonymous said...

You win.

Posted by JeffScape on April 24, 2007 - Tuesday - 1:57 PM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...