Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Short Film Fever

This is a bit related to my "On a Tear" blog from a couple days ago, and is partially both a cause and an effect of being on a tear, but whatever...

I am totally motivated to start making some short films. Anyone interested?

Early in February, a friend of mine from film school approached me with a script, asking if I wanted to work on his short. At first I was hesitant, as I've got other things on my plate, but he sent me a written pitch that was just short of phenomenal. Very good pitch, it was, and it made me want to read his script. So I did. And I liked the story.

Admittedly, I wasn't too fond of the first draft, but who the Hell is ever fond of a first draft? I gave some notes, some advice, and surprisingly, my friend asked me to help him write it. So I did. And I had fun.

After we bounced a few rewrites back and forth, I came to the conclusion that the structure wasn't quite right, so I asked him if I could rewrite the story, basically from scratch. Now, usually when you're working on someone else's short film, the director (or whoever's "vision" the film is) is very vain, very protective about it. Any and all significant changes will come from said director, and that's it. Once again, however, my friend surprised me, and told me to give it a shot. So I did. And he liked it.

And then he asked if I wanted to produce it. Um, yeah.

Anyway, now I'm on a short film tear. Somehow, both deliberately and accidentally, I surrounded myself with a lot of people who want to start making shorts, and that's what we're doing. Sure, it's not features, nobody is going to make any money, but damn... it's filmmaking, and that's why I'm here, right?

But I don't want to stop at just one short. Oh, no. I want to make a dozen, maybe more. I don't care if they're my scripts or not. Anybody who knows me knows that I love seeing projects other than my own come to life almost as much as I like my own scripts to be filmed. I just want to make movies. Who gives a shit if they're just short 10 or 12 minute ones?

That being said, I've got one film to make first, and that's my friend's. Rest assured I'll be writing about it for everyone to read, and I hope reading about the process will almost be as interesting as my experience doing it.

Let's rock 'n roll.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why are you crying? Things are looking up. ::pats head condescendingly::

Posted by Jessica Lynn on March 23, 2007 - Friday - 8:51 PM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...