Wednesday, July 14, 2010

An Exploration of Screwed-Up Movies

You ever seen a film that just left you feeling... depressed to be alive? Yes, of course you have, but I'm not talking about movies that are simply crap, but well-crafted movies designed to make you feel bad about being alive. Movies so disturbing in their subject matter that you can't help but want to take a shower immediately after the end credits start to roll.

Keep in mind that I'm somewhat of a film masochist and I'll watch practically anything once, so I am, by no means, recommending that you see the films presented in "Screwed Up Movies." But, if you're game, go ahead and consider me a film sadist, as well (take that, Lars von Trier!).

*Note: I wrote that previous line prior to having seen von Trier's Antichrist... which is THE most disturbing movie ever made.

Though some might claim Quentin Tarantino is a progenitor of "Screwed-Up Movies" (and they would be right), he cautiously straddles the line of what is acceptable cinema while hiding much of his potential commentary as homage to long-forgotten exploitation genres (this is not a criticism, merely an observation... I love Tarantino films). The films that will appear in "Screwed-Up Movies" are truly that... screwed-up. Honest and blunt depictions of everything society likes to pretend doesn't exist. They are films that I (and most critics) consider outstanding motion pictures, but they are not for everybody.

In the near-future I will attempt to break down Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Irreversible, and Antichrist. These break downs are most certainly not recommendations, but I would encourage the brave and the bold to give them a viewing. Consider this your warning.

I believe it to be no accident that the movies are not English-language films (well, Antichrist is, but is a Danish production). American cinema (and, to a large extent, that of the English-speaking Commonwealth) is loathe to present such situations and subject matter so plainly. While the independent segments of those industries have made great strides in promoting and provoking a wider-range of humanity, their general cinemas much prefer the escapist aspect of their art form. There are opposing philosophies and theories behind this - maturity versus immaturity, morality versus immorality, etc. - and I believe them all to be wrong.

Art does not imitate life, and life does not imitate art. They are one and the same, and have been since we developed the ability of sentient thought. It's time we accept that.

*Come back next Monday for Screwed-Up Movies: Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

7 comments:

Tom said...

i like movies that leave me with emotions at the end, be it happiness, sadness, or what have you...the ones i dislike leave me feeling rage, mad that i spent good money to see them!

Subby said...

To answer your first question: yes. The 4 hour version of DUNE whilst drunk. I canna watch it sober. The book is even more boring( but that's just me, prolly ) Tarantino's "Four Rooms" wasna much better and still not sure what he was angling fae in tha' one, wot?

Brian Miller said...

ok you have me intrigued...have not seen any of these...hmm...

Baino said...

I want to see Antichrist and buggered if I can find it. @ Subby loved the Dune books but the movie was a bit odd. I suppose Mary Poppins won't make it onto your list? Dare you to do a review of "Teeth" Yeh, I'm THAT deep

Tess Kincaid said...

Okay, I'll have to admit I actually liked Inglourious Basterds.

She Writes said...

The movie that made me depressed to be alive was The Hours. However, I realize that is not what you are speaking of here.

YAY! I am glad you will talk about Antichrist. Did you ever finish it, then?

PattiKen said...

I've never seen any of these movies. I'm sure I've seen movies that left me feeling depressed, but I've managed to blank them out.

P.S. Can I tell you how impressed I am that you actually italicized the movie titles? Yay, you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...