Monday, October 9, 2006

Padre Stuff, Charger Stuff, and Some Pointless Musings

Well, the Padres season ended tonight, but what a ride it was. And at least they didn't get swept this year like they did last year.

Let's review what they managed to do:

First place in the NL West over the Dodgers.
First time in team history they made the post-season two years in a row.
Trevor Hoffman broke the all-time saves record.

More importantly, they got me to love baseball again... a sport that used to be my favorite sport, one I had played a lot of when I was younger, and one that I had forgotten about until last year, when the Padres snuck into the playoffs as the NL Wild Card team (I also watched the Padres-Yankees World Series when it happened, but that's beside the point). Baseball, in my life, is finally back... and it feels good.

Now, how about them Chargers? 3-1 and on top of the AFC West. I'm still a Drew Brees fan through and through, but I'm definitely on the Phillip Rivers bandwagon, and have been since the beginning of the season. After the terrifying resurgence of Marty-ball last week in Baltimore, I had grown worried for the Chargers' chances... but, thankfully, it seems they fixed things this week against the Steelers. Hell. Yes.

Quick note on Brees... did anybody read John Czarnecki's NFL blog on September 29th? No? Well, I'll reprint it here:

Saints quarterback Drew Brees finally said this week that the only reason he's not playing in San Diego this season is because Chargers GM A.J. Smith didn't want him.

"He's the guy who drafted Phillip (Rivers) and my shoulder injury gave him the excuse to play Phillip this season," Brees said. "I think Marty Schottenheimer and a lot of players wanted me to stay there, but the general manager didn't want that."

Brees said he's happy to be in New Orleans, but had once figured that he would finish his career in San Diego.


Now, I know I'm not the only person to have claimed that Smith was the real reason Brees left town, but I just wanted to point out the accuracy of my September 9th Chargers blog. What can I say? I like to toot my own horn from time to time.

On that note, I would absolutely love to see a Saints-Chargers Super Bowl. It won't happen, but it'd be the coolest thing ever.

Anyway, the Chargers are playing the 49ers next week. That one should be a no-brainer... provided Marty-ball stays in the trashcan.

Pointless Musings

There must be a ton of Battlestar Galactica fans floating around MySpace, because yesterday's blog sure had an insane number of hits.

Why do obviously beautiful and intelligent women stay with obviously unfaithful and idiotic men?

Any movie produced by both Clint Eastwood AND Steven Spielberg is destined to win some Academy Awards.

Tina Fey is deceptively gorgeous.

There are way too many amateur photographers trying to pose as professional photographers in the world.

Same goes for lawyers and politicians.

Chargers are 3-1. Oh, did I mention that already?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From time to time? Make that time after time. :)

Posted by Jessica Lynn on October 9, 2006 - Monday - 7:49 AM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...