Monday, November 1, 2010

Mid-2010-Season Charger Musings

Yeah, so I haven't written about the San Diego Chargers much this season. It's not because they're sucking, I swear (I am no fair-weather fan)... it's just that I've been doing a helluva lot of other things.

Anyway, I don't want to go all season without ranting and raving about the lightning bolts, so here's a quick musings post for those few football fans who bother to swing by.

Random Charger Musings

LaDainian Tomlinson seems keen to burn his bridges with the Chargers, to and including its fan base. I get why he's upset with the San Diego management (and he's certainly proving them wrong), and I understand why he felt slighted by some of the comments made by other Charger players (though LDT did sorta start the whining), but openly exhibiting glee concerning the Chargers' slow start? Seriously, dude, a lot of Chargers fans still love you, but you're making it hard for us to give a shit. Kellen Winslow got screwed over by Chargers management back in the 80s, but as far as I can remember, he had the class not to take it out on the fans. You're the self-professed "classy guy," LDT, so why the hell are you pissing on us?

Shawne Merriman's days as a terror in the San Diego defense are over. It's kinda sad, but like LDT's departure after last season, this one's not much of a surprise.

Vincent Jackson reported to camp before a deadline in which he would have lost credit for an accrued season. It remains to be seen if his presence is going to help the Chargers win any games. Besides, he's next off-season's LDT/Merriman. Does it really matter?

Maybe I was right about Norv Turner. Maybe he does suck. Nah... I already flipped once. Not going to do it again.

It's kinda sad that Ben Roethlisberger has two Super Bowl rings, Eli Manning has one, and Philip Rivers has zero.

The loss to the Patriots, even though by only 3 points, was worse than the embarrassing losses to the Chiefs, Seahawks, Raiders, and Rams, in which breakdowns in scheme were as much to blame as breakdowns in discipline. The Chargers owned the Patriots. Except... do Charger coaches not teach the rules of the game? Thank you, Richard Goodman and Jacob Hester for quite literally handing the ball to Patriot defenders. Learn what constitutes a fumble, if you don't mind.

All that aside, the Chargers defeated the Tennessee Titans yesterday, maintaining their position as the only team that Titans head coach Jeff Fisher has never defeated. It wasn't the prettiest of victories, but I'll take it. 3-5 is better than 2-6.

Bring on the Texans!

6 comments:

Julie said...

Shall read this in a sec. But, I am intruiged by a comment you made over at Magpie Tales. What is involved in teaching funeral details in the army?

Julie said...

... mmm ...your American variety of football does not easily translate into australiana ... sorry.

Tess Kincaid said...

Okay, my youngest son played high school football and I was a devoted fan, but I'm SO not into sports.

(I was also intrigued by your funeral details comment at MT. More details, please!)

Baino said...

See, we'd rather talk about lightening bolts and funeral arrangements than a bunch of over-padded egos banging into each other with a ball that rarely touches a foot . . .they do good jackets and caps tho. Geaux Tigers, I mean Patriots, I mean Chargers

Tom said...

haha nobody cares, it seems. The record isn't too bad--plenty of time to turn it around. Rivers is a top notch QB, but i doubt this is his year to go
all
the
way....
But they'll probably get into the playoffs.

Kristen Haskell said...

All I can say is I miss my hometown (San Diego) a hell of a lot more than I do the Chargers! Interesting post...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...