Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Motion Pictures That Make Me Say Wow

Everyone has a favorite movie, and most of us have several, as we tend to be incapable of consistently heralding a "best" as our moods change from moment to moment and our tastes change from year to year.

We all, however, have the ability to identify movies that make us say "wow." Some of those pictures only do it the first time we see it, while others have the extremely rare ability of eliciting the response with every viewing.

Let me back up a moment.

I am, obviously, writing this quick little rave because I just watched a film that made my jaw drop. No, it wasn't action-packed, and, no, there wasn't a glut of sex (one or two scenes, only one of which might make a Puritan blush). Hell, it wasn't even American. While I will mention that film here, I will not go into detail as I intend on making my girlfriend watch it, and I don't want to give anything away.

Without further ado, the list:

The Matrix - yes, it might be a little passé to admit now, but everyone who saw this film in theaters was blown away, whether by the effects themselves or the accidentally philosophical plot. For me, the second and third entries in the trilogy took the power of the first movie away, but that doesn't change the fact that it once blew my mind.

Irreversible - a French film centering on a rape and the events that led up to it. It has, without doubt, the most disturbing scene I have ever watched in a movie, and probably ever will see in a movie (tall claim, I know). There is also a scene involving a fire extinguisher and man's face that could once make me wince. This one's a whopper.

Road to Perdition - in my opinion: the perfect movie. Why? I don't know... I just really, really like it.

The Lives of Others - this is the German film that I finished watching less than an hour prior to this writing. Again, not going to give anything away just yet (rest assured I will come back to it in the near future), but... wow.

There are more, naturally, but I'm keeping this short. What films can do or have done this to you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, out of your picks, I have only seen The Matrix, so I will have to add some of those others to my Blockbuster queue. You are right about The Matrix, though. It was amazing.

Two that awed me are the original Halloween and Jurassic Park.

Yes, I know there have been hundreds of horror flicks since Halloween, but this one unnerved me like no other film the first time I saw it, and it still has the power to make me uneasy and a bit frightened. One of the few films I can watch again and again.

Jurassic Park may seem less dramatic now, with all the CGI leaps made since then, but when I saw this movie I was in awe. People and dinosaurs actually seemed to be interacting, for the first time. Amazed me.

Posted by Joe on October 1, 2008 - Wednesday - 9:49 AM

Anonymous said...

Blockbuster? What happened to Netflix?

And, yeah, Jurassic Park probably deserves to be on that list, as it was The Matrix of its day. But as I didn't see Halloween until well after my first foray into horror, I'd have to give A Nightmare on Elm Street that spot. Or Aliens. That fucking terrified me when I was 11.

Posted by JeffScape on October 1, 2008 - Wednesday - 3:03 PM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...