Monday, March 31, 2008

March Movie Reviews

After a bit of a hiatus, I’ve finally started going to the theater again. Feels good, actually... surprisingly good.

Anyway, got a couple of films to rant about, including some older ones I happened to catch on TV recently.

First up is Vantage Point. Hugely, hugely underrated. What else can I say? Yes, there’s a rather annoying gimmick involved in the "8 Points of View" which no doubt led to many of its bad critical reviews (Rashomon, this film is not), but the payoff is well worth it. Fantastic ending, if completely contrived.

Next up is Semi-Pro. Will Ferrell. Dumb comedy. Avoid at all costs. Enough said.

Finally, we have The Other Boleyn Girl. Surprisingly good. And despite bad English accents by both Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson, the film was rife with excellent performances.

Yes, I’m being a tad contradictory today.

Going back in time a bit, everyone needs to check out Sam Peckinpah’s Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid. I realize that the MTV generation will like the Young Guns series better, but Peckinpah’s take on the story is quite simply the best Billy the Kid film I’ve ever seen.

That’s all for now... I think I have a Monday case of ADHD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to like Vantage Point...but that "rewind" thing was irritating. :)

The only funny thing in Semi-pro was the grizzly bear. I love those three scenes.

I liked Jumper too, even if it was a tad confusing.

Posted by Geoffry on March 31, 2008 - Monday - 11:02 PM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...